Friday, May 22, 2009

Renewal


Pen and Ink Drawing-
"Vitality Bursting out of Sick Pores"-2005 drawn after my mom passed away, and when the emotional pain began translating into physical suffering;

Proverbs 17:22
A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

So true! And as I embark on a journey to transform my body (from the inside), I realize that POSITIVITY is playing a major role on my recovery to health. In grad school, I've learned about negative cognition, and how it contributes to an person's depressive state, which seems pretty common sense: you think bad, you feel bad- Optimism seems to be the type of thing that you inherit, or learn at a very young age. If I believed that optimism was a personality trait that could not be changed, I would be out of luck! I USED TO BE a huge pessimist!! But I can change, I can learn, and honestly being cynical about stuff has caused nothing but discouragement and disappointment, so enough is enough. This journey has taken a couple of years now, I have been rediscovering myself through Art (which is undoubtedly a gift from God, and the simple awareness of this has opened up an avenue for TRUE connection and self-assessment/awareness). Now it' time to listen and respect my body, (this is LONG overdue) but I want to start giving special attention to this issue of staying positive. I am going to read Michael J. Fox's new book to give me a good first taste on this, and will let you know what else I find out...
In the mean time, please pray that my nutritional efforts will remain strong, and that my husband's patience won't run thin with the upcoming 3 MONTH ELIMINATION OF SUGARS that I am about to endure. (More on this to come)
Here is the link to Michael's book:

Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist












2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the book by the way, but it didn't touch much on what I was looking foward to reading... Like his travels to Asia, and the way the philosophy, way of life and attitude of the peole he encoutered made an impact on his physical health...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Hope to see you back here soon:)Beijos, allypye