Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer thoughts...






While hearing so many people complain of the "scalding" weather here in KZOO I am happy as a bee as the sun kisses my skin! I love summer! As I write this, my 12 year old is away at camp, my six year old is at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts for their weeklong camp; and my Bella Boo (the three year old) is napping this lazy afternoon away...I am sitting here listening to a wonderful book: "Caramelo" by Sandra Cisneros;

My husband and I just celebrated yet another anniversary, and over dinner, we talked about summer plans and reminisced on times when things seemed to be simpler. We both agree on the same period - 2002/2003 - as the most peaceful, content and blissful time of our married lives. So we talked about those years, and examined our state of mind, financial situation, children, family and friends, and figured that the just of it was really about living in the now, doing it simply and being gentle to ourselves;

By living in the now we allowed ourselves the opportunity to be spontaneous, carefree, and centered; spending our present planning an uncertain future just seemed strange...

By doing it simply we had no idea who the Joneses were, and if we did, we had no interest in hanging out with them; we didn't have much, we didn't want much, and didn't measure ourselves up to anything or anyone.

By being gentle to ourselves took care of us first- me by doing art and being gentle to my body as I carried my little Lucas in my belly and enjoyed watching my little kindergartner discover new horizons; Erik meditated, played his guitar and we both dedicated some of our time as volunteer tutors to our son's classmates.

We took the time to just be. No unnecessary obligations, commitments, or relationships; We had the guts to only do what made us happy.


Looking at now, I feel as though we have the maturity to do even better than 2002. But why aren't we there? Sure, the kids are older now, there are 3 of them instead of 2, and making decisions for ourselves and our little ones overshadows the spontaneity and the stillness we so long for.


The practice of gentleness to oneself, simplicity and joy is very intentional, and the results can be freeing; I am confident that my family can get back to that point (we are pretty darn close already, I think) if we begin to live our lives by practicing to love ourselves and find beauty and fulfillment on the simple things.


As the clothes gently sway on the clothesline in our backyard, I think of my grandmother, skirt swaying as if to keep up with the linen sheets she hung above her head. Possessions were not in her mind, but the breeze and the sun...


Thank you for reading!

Beijos a todos

allypye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Hope to see you back here soon:)Beijos, allypye