Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Training the eye and the heart...

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share that this past weekend, I photographed a garden snake. I assume many of you may be thinking "So what? Get a life!!" but to me this was a BIG DEAL. Usually I can't even hear the word "snake" and my insides start turning...
I have been deathly afraid of these creatures since I was a little girl, and the fact that poisonous cobras were a fairly common sight by my parent's beach house, made it even worse. The beach was my haven for the most part, until someone would mention seeing a snake. I would check behind doors, in the shower, under beds, pillows, sheets, and in closets; my mom and dad would have to move the fridge and the oven since I knew the heat behind those appliances attracted them and then they would say, "viu, nao tem cobra nehuma!! (See? there is no snake!!). I couldn't sleep well, and when I did, I would dream about the darn cobras! It was horrible. The housekeeper's son who lived in a house adjacent to the main house quickly figured out that the trick for keeping me away from the backyard was to tease me about snakes being back there.
And it has been pretty much the same way for 30 years now; with this weekend being the first time I ever voluntarily came near a snake and didn't sweat. It felt good to face this fear, even if from a distance of 2 feet. I guess you could say that I started my own desensitization process, and it feels good to see that fear (of whatever) does not have to take control forever. It is empowering to know that I can do things that were once unimaginable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Hope to see you back here soon:)Beijos, allypye