Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Backyard Robin's Nest


Nest with eggs


Waiting


Feeding

If I were a robin, the last place I would want to build my nest would be in a play set, where a 7 and a 3 1/2 year old are accustomed to climbing, jumping, shaking amongst other activities that would make life for newborn birds rather unbearable.
Well, this particular robin mama felt like our backyard play set was the perfect place to have babies, and so she did. Here are some pics of the whole process, taken by my 13 year old who has now developed an interest in nature photography. I must say, it was pretty great to see the way each of our kids reacted to the whole thing. They all developed a true sense of caring for the mama bird, the eggs and later the new born babies. We watched them hatch, feed for the first time, learn to walk, and fly. Living in an urban area does not mean we lack opportunities to see nature at work.

All it takes is to open your eyes wider, and look a little closer!
Thanks for reading!

beijos
allypye


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful ocean blue eggs. It's always amazing the way birds care for thier babies. They sacrifice themselves for the little ones and I suppose that's the way it is with us as well. Thanks for sharing. I think it's great that your son is interested in photo taking. It's a great skill to have. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! how lucky to have the opportunity to document this, I'm happy for you and for your kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Hope to see you back here soon:)Beijos, allypye