Friday, June 4, 2010

The gift of a Painting

Last year I attended a house warming party for some friends of mine who had just purchased a new house. Instead of bringing a gift, I promised them an original painting, which they were thrilled about. Of course as the story of my life always goes, there were a few road blocks and the painting was delivered 5 months later! YIKES! That is a LONG time...
I am however, very happy with the result and so are my friends! I decided to paint on a birch wood board, using some drawing, wood burning, acrylics and some paper cut outs. Some areas were also enriched with colored pencils and pastels.
Making art as a gift is so different than planning an exhibit; it is liberating in a way because you don't have to worry about maintaining homogeneity, or flow, conceptualizing themes and etc...
It becomes more about the person who is to receive the painting, their taste, personality and the colors in their home. So this was definitely refreshing!


pencil drawing and wood burning



adding wood cut out with decoupage

almost done

painting the birds



 The gift that enriches both the giver and the receiver, is a gift worth giving!

Thanks for reading!
beijos
allypye

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ally. Awesome, just awesome. I love working on wood and my husband just cut out some 12x12 panels and they will be put to use. I love what you did about the wood burning, it gives me ideas. I love to wood burn. It's beautiful and I am sure they will love it always. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love yours and will be back soon.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally, I'm stopping by to, beside thanking you for your visit to my blog, tell you how much I love this painting! And I love the idea of giving handmade presents, it is so much personal and special. I wish every time I got a present it was something made specially for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Hope to see you back here soon:)Beijos, allypye