Monday, September 7, 2009

Balancing Life with Kids - PART 1

Cone Flower- photographed by me this weekend

It all began with a routine trip to the library. Eager to leave the house, we jumped in the mini van and headed downtown for a relaxing couple of hours of reading and learning

...Or so I thought...

The kids were cranky; the 12 year old vanished in the teen room the second we arrived, while the 6 year old pouted about wanting to go in the teen area, and the 3 year old decided it was a good idea to sneak up two flights of stairs for a game of hide and seek.
Soon after, they were all accounted for and taken to the appropriate location in the library (that being the children's room, what a concept!!) There's crying, pouting and eye rolling (may I add that at this point everyone in the library is engaging in the rolling of the eyes, as they watch the spectacle!!), not to mention us walking out with at least 20 items (I forgot the canvas bag at home) and setting off the security system!!! Back in we go, with the crying, pouting, rolling of the eyes reaching record levels... I just wanted to sit right there and cry.

How do other mothers do this?

That was all I could think about that day. I felt exhausted, overwhelmed, defeated and inadequate. And this was not the first time!
In my mind, I am adding to this catastrophe of a trip the following: 6 loads of laundry in the basement, bills to pay, movies to return, groceries to buy, dinner to make, art projects to plan, and much, much more!
The truth is that balancing life with kids is something that everyone struggles with, and I found that perhaps sharing valuable tips with others isn't such a bad idea. I asked a couple of moms (these are moms you look at and go, "wow, she really knows what she is doing") to share their wealth of knowledge in making life work.
It was important for me to gather info that could be modified to different family set-ups and lifestyles: husband or no husband, full time stay-at-home or full time job. It is my hope that whoever reads this will be able to gain something or add something to the conversation.
Throughout this week we will discuss Meal Planning and Shopping, Housework and Organizing, and Time to be YOU. Though it may sound meaningless and too "domestic" of a talk for some, life's chores and obligations are said to be the cause of most couple's sense of unhappiness and overall sense of burden in Americans. So why not share ideas?

Thanks to Beth and Lisa, who will be featured in this series for the next three days. Your help is appreciated and the love you share with your family through your dedication is inspiring!


Thanks for reading, hope to have you stop by again tomorrow:)


beijos


allypye

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ally, wow that is very hard but if you look at it through the eyes of your children, maybe you can balance things out a little. My children are grown and it's been a while but I can definitely recomment these site. Robin at notsoglameroushousewife has children and deals with a lot of the same things you do, and DivaMom has more children, some adopted, some natural and she is dealing with a lot of pressure lately. :D I hope you feel better ally and try to drop by their blogs, they are always posting of what is going on with them and their children. Smile, life is short. Have a great week.

    http://www.notsoglamoroushousewife.com
    http://thedivasblessedlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ally, I love your blog. Finding that balance can be difficult, especially when we keep adding more to our schedules. Having a regular "Mommy's Night Off" is important. Mine is usually once every other week. I also tend toward trying to do everything for everyone. As I'm noticing things around the house that need to be done, I'm delegating more to my spouse and children than I used to, but its all a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Hope to see you back here soon:)Beijos, allypye