Friday, October 30, 2009

The Story of Stuff

"Bella and the caterpillar" Photographed by Erik (the husband)
Even though my latest posts have focused on homemaking and family life, sometimes even sounding self-indulgent, a lot of contemplation has taken place in my home in regards to the bigger picture, and how our presence in the world today will impact what we leave behind.
This is no news, the debate is going on everywhere and I just hope to be able to somehow continue with the conviction that a family can take steps to become closer and more loving, without becoming self-centered.
I truly believe we can inspire a sense of community responsibility in our children if we are cognizant of our own duty. To us, this means reading more, talking more, cooking, crafting, listening to music, asking questions and becoming involved in community... Caring for one another at home makes it easier to care for the world outside, its people, animals and resources. It means not having the tv on (maybe once or twice on the weekends for movies), it means NOT going to stores when we are bored, and doing whatever we can to be outside in nature.
The reality is that this way of living simply, taking the focus AWAY from consumption, makes a lot of impact- we have seen a huge difference in the way our family thinks and acts because of it.
We are conditioned by society to become Slaves of Consumption, and it becomes easy to push aside concepts like conservation, reusage, and community building.
I would go as far as saying that a holistic approach to life can lessen the individualistic tendencies that poison us. With that said, I am posting a link to the "Story of Stuff" video (the international web site so you can have subtitles in many other languages.) Please watch, it is soooo worth it!

http://www.storyofstuff.com/international/

Thanks for reading!
Beijos
allypye

4 comments:

  1. I liked this post very much. Less is best as my dad used to say. I've been working on trying my best to follow some of these guidelines. Thank you for sharing. Have a great Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great postand very inspiring. We agree on many things. I desire my family to be more like this as well and hope I am taking the right steps to get there. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this video before, it really makes you look at the world in a different light.
    You are so good Ally, keep it up.
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Hope to see you back here soon:)Beijos, allypye